5.2.09

Why You need a Midweek Break!


I decided to watch the news on the telly tonight. I'm an avid follower of talk radio but watching the nations woes shaken out on my 42 inch HDLCD is something else! I sat there gobsmacked, frightening notions forming and unforming in my shocked mind.
Heres an idea of the sort of thing that was going down between my ears.
!!!Jeeze all these shots of soon-to-be-unemployed workers marching dejectedly
from shiny buildings reminds me of the 80s (except for the shiny buildings)!!!

!!!But No! this is'nt the 80s, back then we got news of company closures and hundreds of layoffs every other week now its several a day!!!
!!!God, the public servants (and that includes the ones we really need like guards and nurses and people who make sure my unemployment cheque is in the post) are'nt
taking the pension levy lying down!!!

!!!Why is the reporter suggesting that private employees (the rest of us) think the public servant guys deserve all they dont get. Is he trying to start a war?!!!
!!!It looks like the civil servants are taking on the government!!!
!!!Who'll win?!!!
!!!Are we witnessing a breakdown of society as we knew it?!!!
!!!Time to start digging a tunnel and filling it with provisons?!!!
!!!Enough food and water for 3 months and enough whiskey and ciggerettes for 10!!!
(at this point the bro rang and predicted that Fianna
Fail back benchers would be seen legging it out of the dail waving adieu while muttering 'we quit'!
Anyway you get my point...I was well and truely rattled.

And then I remembered the advice given on a recent RTe radio show by a respected
psychiatrist. She was dealing with the feeling of impending doom and associated depression being experienced by many Irish people. The fact that others too were
worried, enough to merit a radio piece during prime time, far from reassuring me worried me even more. Up till then I had persuaded myself that maybe, as a result
of unwanted spare time, my mind was wandering overtime and making things look worse.
Anyways, Ive decided to try and take the advice given during the show. Summed up it amounts to this: Give yourself a break and dont listen to the news or read the papers for a few days. Ban any discussion of the economy or banks or politics
within earshot. Ignore it all and enjoy quality time with famiy and friends. Pretend it isnt happening. Call it a mid-week Break.
But before I baton down the hatches let me add this:
Brian&Brian are a Pr mans nightmare. They just dont have what it takes to
get the people onside.
(A joke heard recently on the radio) Guy goes to the bank to withdraw cash, "insufficient funds" the cashier said. "Who me or you"? he asked?

No comments: