7.3.09

Forget the Doom agus Gloom, its time to Party.

The blog over at pix.ie reminded me St Patricks Day is almost here and I reckon its time to take a break from talk of doom agus gloom and enjoy the biggest street party of the year.

Last year, being the lazy sod that I am, I made my way to a bar on Dame Street. Upstairs, I found a window seat, settled down with a cold pint, a warm stool and arguably the best view in the whole of Dublin (better even than the VIP Festival Grandstand);Satisifed, I proceeded to snap away with my trusty Canon.
The buzz was mighty and spirits stayed high all day.


I recall my daughter pointing to a man nearby; "Thats Joe Duffy" says she. "No way", I replied,"sure Joe Duffy is way too famous to be drinking in the same bar as us, and anyway, that fella looks a bit dishevelled, look at the state of his shoes. I'll bet ye a tenner it isnt him!". I marched over and tapped him on the shoulder: "Exsqueeze me Sir, my young wan over there swears your Joe Duffy, but I told her, no way, Joe is way better looking". He swung around, looked me up and down and replied (in that same famous afternoon radio voice): "Dont I know you? Yes, I know you! You took part in the Glamourous Granny competition in Butlins a few years ago"! Touche Mr Duffy! Last time I was in Butlins was when I was 16! Tucking me tail firmly between my legs I proceeded back to my spot at the bar, took my tenner from the young one and ordered a jemmy!


The motto of the tale: on Patricks Day everyone is Irish, everyone is equal, and in the true Dublin bar style, ye have to enjoy a bit of friendly slagging! Fair play to ye Joe!

No comments: